Monday, June 10, 2013

Read to Me, Daddy


Here is a little gift for Father's Day. With all the controversy over standards, teacher evaluations and standardized tests, one thing remains incontrovertibly true: children whose parents read to them have a leg up on literacy learning.

I wrote this poem nearly thirty years ago, while on my way to a conference to speak on the topic of A Fathers' Influence on Children's Literacy Development. It, too, remains true today.

I hope you enjoy.








Read to Me, Daddy 

Read to me, Daddy
Of far away places
Where elephants reign
And turtles win races.

Read to me, Daddy
And we’ll leave on a flight
To Jupiter! Mars!
And home in one night.

Read to me, Daddy
And fill up my head
With fanciful pictures
‘Fore I go to bed.

Read to me, Daddy
Of wishes come true.
Read to me, Daddy
Then I’ll read to you.

                       Russ Walsh







2 comments:

  1. I gave this to my father 13 father's days ago, the day before father's day. Had no clue he would suddenly pass away the next day. I still think about this poem here and there. I'll cherish it forever thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing this story. So sorry for the loss of your dad.

      Delete